When you go off to college, you’ll find a new family, a new lifestyle, a new home; but it’s important to remember where you came from. In today’s DIY Dorm craft, “home is where the heart is” is the central theme (since I’ve already made Virginia, I decided to make North Carolina, my home away from home)! The Framed Glitter State Cut Out is one of my absolute favorites. I think I probably say that in all of my posts, but it’s true; I love them all! So, if you want to make a dorm craft that is dedicated to your roots and super cute, keep reading!
- 1 sheet of glitter paper Card stock (in the color of your choice)
- 1 X-Acto/ Craft Knife
- 1 sheet of standard Card stock (in the color of your choice)
- Inverted print out of the state of your choice
- Glue or adhesive
- Small heart cutout
- 1 5×7 frame (Target
1. Go to the greatest invention of the digital age: Google. Find a map or state clipart cut out that you want. Download the image and open it in a word processor (Microsoft Word, Pages) and make it an appropriate size to print out. *I recommend creating a 5×7 square in Word, and sizing the state in that box so you can adjust it to the size you want.* You’ll need to invert the state clip art so that it’s backwards (see example).
2. Print out your clip art and tape it to the back of your glitter card stock. Make sure it is steady, this needs to be exact to get the best results. Using the X-Acto knife, trace the state being very precise and cautious especially if your state has a rugged coast or edges.
3. After you’ve completed tracing it with the X-Acto knife, the state should pop out of the Card stock. Now, you will need to cut a 5×7 piece from the standard colored card stock using a ruler and pencil/paper. You’ll glue down your state cut out to the square; make sure it’s centered.
4. *Optional* I simply used a piece of paper (red or white are my recommendations) that I had around the house to cut out a small heart. Throwback to Kindergarten: fold the paper in half and cut half a heart into the crease. It makes a really simple cute heart that you can glue down wherever you want (hometown, favorite shopping mall, etc.)
Nice work! You’ve completed a super cute and easy glitter state cut out, frame and hang up using command strips or simply place on your desk! send me pics on twitter or Instagram(@theswirlblog), I’d love to see your crafting!